Special Educational Support
School Aims and Objectives
The Governors, Local Authority, Head teacher and all staff aim to work together with parents and carers to provide a broad and balanced education to meet the individual needs of each child.
SENDIASS provide information, advice and support for young people & parents/carers of children with special educational needs and/or disabilities aged 0-25. This service can be accessed at: http://sendiasstorbay.org.uk/
Here at Kings Ash Academy, we have a large team of staff who work within the SEN and Pastoral department. We are at the heart of Kings Ash and play an integral part in the school provision. Our aim is to be inclusive in our approach and to provide all children who have additional needs with an enriching environment, which raises their confidence and increases their potential to achieve. Passion and commitment are key to bringing out and enabling that potential, thus ensuring that our pupils achieve their very best in all they do.
We offer a range of interventions and programs which support the 4 key areas within Special Educational Needs.
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Speech, Language and Communication
- Physical and Sensory
The SENDCO liaises closely with agencies and professionals who can offer additional support and advice. Below are listed just some of the professionals who work alongside us:
- Educational Psychologist
- Dyslexia/Dyscalculia support from the SEN advisory teacher
- Speech and Language Therapist
- ADHD nurse
- Occupational Therapist
- Visual Impairment advisory teacher Hearing Impairment advisory teacher
- School Nurse
- Health Visitor
- Diabetes team
- Paediatric team
- THRIVE practitioners
- Outreach services from Mayfield School, Chestnut School and Coast Academies
- Alternative Provisions including the YMCA, SWIFT and Play Torbay